Over the past year I have been really trying to pare down my wardrobe. This has been for a few reasons
1) to stop wasting money on items I don’t need or really want
2) to make some extra money from clothes I don’t really wear!
3) to declutter!!!!!! (for anyone who knows me, this is not something which used to come naturally at all!)
4) to better value the items I do own, and to LOVE all of my clothes and how they make me feel when I wear them.
I wouldn’t say that this has been a quick process. It started by cleaning out my wardrobe pre USA holiday mid last year – where I made some nice sales on eBay to contribute to the ‘holiday fund’. I found that once I started this “purging” process (and earning some money off it, yay!) it was almost addictive. I realised how much of my clothes that I did NOT wear, that did NOT fit, or that I just didn’t enjoy!
So I decided to continuously try to clear out more items, whenever I was in a purging sort of mood. Two of my greatest inspirations for this were the gorgeous ladies of YouTube – Light by Coco (click here and here for links) and LoveRawVegan (click here). Both women have a stylish, realistic and practical approach to living with less – but getting the most use out of what you have.
And although I must admit I still have quite a lot of clothes, I have stopped purchasing items I don’t need – and have been seriously considering if and what items I do need in my wardrobe. To make it more fun, I’ve been trawling Pinterest for images of styles and looks that I LOVE!!! (Check out my Pinterest fashion folders here). And I’ve made a little mood board of my favourite looks, split into 3 categories:
- General Clothing Inspo
- Winter Clothing Inspo
- Shoes and Accessories Inspo
This fashion analysis shall we call it, has also helped me to come up with a little ‘priority list’ of items I want to keep my eyes peeled for.
This is the list so far:
- Black or grey Nikes (possibly could go for some New Balance in the right colour combination)
- Tan or marle grey overcoat
- Long sleeved stripy top replacement (current Ralph Lauren favourite has gotten so much love it’s now developing holes!!! Sadness!)
- Short sleeved dark french navy and white striped tee (that can be dressed up or down)
- New black ankle boots that suit jeans and skirts
Now all that’s left to decide is whether to take the plunge to attempt a capsule wardrobe to truly pare back my wardrobe!
Let me know below what you guys do to plan your shopping, style and wardrobes.